Sending a text for a review to «Acta Biologica» is equivalent to a declaration that the text has not been submitted to publication in any other journal. A negative result of the reviewing procedure (notification of the fact) frees the author from that obligation
Text should be prepared in Microsoft Office Word, according to the following guidelines:
· font: Times New Roman, 12 points
· margins: 2.5 cm (default in Microsoft Office Word)
· do not use upper case letters or small capital letters
· text justified: with the exception of some quotes, titles, headings, elements of tables and computer graphics
· line spacing 1.5 (it also concerns the captions of tables and pictures and foot/endnotes)
· indentation of first lines in paragraphs (default)
· pages numbered
· option to divide words – off
· footnotes inside the text – according to APA (surname, year of publication) (surname, surname, year of publication)
· tables and diagrams (editable) together with the titles in the right place of the text
· (in addition, files – if created in Excel, Statistica, CorelDraw, PowerPoint, and the like – should be prepared so as to be readable in black and white version, Times New Roman, font size 8 or 9 points, width – up to 12.5 cm, height – up to 17 cm)
· graphic elements (e.g. photos, pictures and the like) should be prepared in the best possible way and saved in one of the following formats: *.jpg, *.eps or *.pdf. Photos – 300 dpi, (width – up to 12.5 cm, height – up to 17 cm). Illustrations, diagrams, pictures taken from the internet should not be included
· formulae: main text – 10 points, superscripts/subscripts – 7 points, width – up to 12 cm; formulae and notations – Times New Roman font, 10 points; variables – italics; numbers – normal font; if formulae are written in the program of formulae, they need to be placed inside the text as editable elements (!)
· getting the CONSENT OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNERS and revealing the source(s) of the materials used in the publication lie with the author(s)
Each graphic element should be additionally sent as a separate file
Manuscripts will be considered only on the understanding that they have not been published and are not being considered for publication elsewhere. Submissions are accepted only through electronic means. Manuscripts should be submitted via e-mail email as an attached both pdf and doc files to the address of the proper of Editorial Board members. To shorten the review process, authors are asked to indicate 3 or 4 names of specialists working in the same scientific discipline (including their institution and email addresses). The manuscript should not exceed 25 typed pages (including references, figures and tables), for bigger manuscripts former settlements are necessary. On all points of style regarding text and tables, follow a current copy of the journal. Words to be italicized (scientific names of genus and species only) should be typed in italics.
The manuscript should be started with a title page presenting the title of the paper, full forenames and surnames of author(s) and the full postal address of their work. Please provide a running title of not more than 60 characters (including spaces). Next the paper should contain a short abstract limited to 250 words, a list of key words and the text divided into standard chapters: introduction, materials and methods, results, discussion and references. Abstract should be informative not descriptive (specify the most important findings of your paper). Avoid using words from the title as key words.
References in the text should be cited in the following form: Gerecke (2003) or Gerecke and Smit (2000) or (Smit 2001; Smit & Martin 1999). For three or more authors, use the form: Gerecke et al. (1991).
Examples of style for references:
1. citations of journal papers:
Pešić V. 2003. Three water mite species of the genus Protzia Piersig (Acari: Hydrachnidia) from the Balkan, with the description of one new species. Zootaxa, 216, 1–7.
Di Sabatino A., Gerecke R., Smit H., Pešić V., Panesar A. 2003. Water mites of the family Torrenticolidae (Acari, Actinedida, Hydrachnidia) from the Eastern Mediterranean region. Archiv für Hydrobiologie Suppl., 139 (3), 1–39.
2. citations of chapter from books, monographs, congress proceedings:
Davids C., Di Sabatino A., Gerecke R., Gledhill T., Smit H., Van der Hammen H. 2007. Acari: Hydrachnidia I. In Gerecke R. (ed.) Süßwasserfauna von Mitteleuropa, Vol. 7, 2-1, Elsevier GmbN, Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, München, pp. 241–376.
3. citations of books and monographs:
Błaszak C. 2009. Zoologia. Bezkręgowce. Tom 1. Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN.
Figures and tables
All illustrations should be referred as "Fig." and numbered consecutively, e.g. Fig. 1, or Figs. 3-5. They must be submitted separately from the text at the end of the paper. They should be suitable for double reduction of size in reproduction (it is specially important when the size of symbols, inscriptions, descriptions of plots, line thickness, etc. are selected). The captions to the figures should be compiled separately.
Tables should be as simple as possible and understandable without reference to the text.
All tables with their captions should also be prepared separately from the text at the end of the paper. The supplementary descriptions should be added under the table. Use Arabic numerals to number Tables. Give extra information as a footnote below the table.
Before submitting a manuscript for publication, the authors must complete and sign the CC-BY-SA license. This is in accordance with the DOAJ definition of open access DOAJ. There are no submitting nor processing charges for publication.